How to run the tool
For Windows 64-bit users who have a problems installing Java/Java3D there is an installer: atlas3d_installer_win64.exe located in the Downloads section. This installer has Java, Java3D and Atlas3D included and will install Atlas3D into C:\Atlas3D. To run the tool run runme.bat file.
Install Java3D http://java3d.java.net/binary-builds.html
- Download atlas3d.jar file.
- If double-click on the atlas3d.jar file icon does not work then you have to use the console.
In the console change the current folder to the folder where atlas3d.jar is located ("cd" command). Then type:
java -jar atlas3d.jar
Java3D installer for Windows is broken
It seems like the current version of Windows 64-bit installer is broken (yet another "thank you, Oracle"). The bug is reported here: http://java.net/jira/browse/JAVA3D-675
Here is the recipe how to install Java3D manually (for Windows only).
- Download Java3D zip archive. This one is for 64 bit Windows: http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-windows-amd64.zip, this one is for 32 bit windows: http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-windows-i586.zip
- Unzip the file.
- Unzip j3d-jre.zip.
- Copy the content of the folder "bin" (file j3dcore-ogl.dll) into C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin
- Copy the content of the folder "ext" (files j3dcore.jar, j3dutils.jar, vecmath.jar) into C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\ext
Atlas3D should work now.
Assuming that the only Java 7 installation is located in the default folder: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Folder "ext" is located in folder "lib"
There is another way to install Java3D manually described in README-unzip.html (inside the zip archive).
Java3D installer for Mac
Macs are supplied with outdated Java3D version. The easiest way to install Java3D on your Mac is to install this package: http://create.ife.no/vr/tools/j3d/java3d_1_5_2-macosx.pkg.zip