A MATLAB toolbox for computing the Current Source Density (CSD), currently for one dimensional electrode arrays.
This MATLAB toolbox has a graphical user interface, it is simple to use, and it estimates the CSD based on the iCSD methods as well as the standard CSD method. Please have a look at the User guide (downloadable pdf) for more information.
The current source density (CSD) method is used for converting measured electrical potentials in the brain to their origin: the transmembrane currents. The potential is usually measured at different cortical depths by using a linear electrode array with several (around 20) measuring contacts. The inter-contact distance (spatial resolution) is usually about 0.1 mm.
In  we have developed new methods for estimating the CSD based on inversion of the forward electrostatic solution. The methods are called the inversed CSD (iCSD) methods, and their pros compared to the standard CSD methods are:
* the CSD can be computed for spatial confined CSD activity
* the inter-contact distance does not have to be constant (even experiments with one or several damaged electrode contacts can be used to compute the CSD)
* the methods could produce continuous CSD functions as output, allowing continuous filters (e.g. gaussian) to be used in case of spatial noise
* the methods could compute CSD with, for example, differences in conductivity in cortex and above cortex taken into account
* the methods compute CSD for all contact positions (the standard CSD method does not estimate the CSD for the outer electrode contacts)
 Current-source density estimation based on inversion of electrostatic forward solution: Effects of finite extent of neuronal activity and conductivity discontinuities.
K.H. Pettersen, A. Devor, I. Ulbert, A.M. Dale and G.T. Einevoll. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 154, 116--133 (2006)
LicenseGNU General Public License
PrerequirementsThe toolbox should run on any platform, for matlab 7.1 or later.
Ease of UseAnyone can use it
External web sitehttp://arken.umb.no/~klaspe/iCSD.php
PublicationsK.H. Pettersen, A. Devor, I. Ulbert, A.M. Dale and G.T. Einevoll, 2006, Current-source density estimation based on inversion of electrostatic forward solution: Effects of finite extent of neuronal activity and conductivity discontinuities, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 154, 116-133.
Leski S, Wojcik DK, Tereszczuk J, Swiejkowski DA, Kublik E, Wrobel A, 2007, Inverse Current-Source Density in three dimensions, Neuroinformatics, 5, 207-222.
- Nov 16, 2008
- Last Modified:
- May 12, 2010